▲▲▲ Day One ▲▲▲

Hello dear friends!

Today we commenced our wonderful journey! I am so excited and thankful to be on this adventure and I am even more blessed that I get to experience all of it with none other than my wonderful husband!


This is the name of many gas stations in North Texas... Interesting. 
Friday night (the night before this grand roadtrip started) we spent the entire evening at our favorite rope swing in Ken's Landing. We had the most joyous time with wonderful, genuine company! However, by the time we made it home and finished packing, it was after midnight... And our alarms were set for 3 am. Nevertheless, this seems to be habit whenever we embark for a long day drive, so we are rather used to it! We wouldn't trade the memories from the previous evening for anything though. So shout out to all of you that were there! Anywho, 3 am came early and we were rather slow... but we finally started driving on the road at 4am. Today's journey consisted of a 14+ hour drive from Ruston to Albuquerque, New Mexico!!! My precious husband was kind enough to drive the first shift because I wasn't feeling too fancy. I fell asleep almost instantly, and missed all the beautiful sights of east Texas. I woke up around Dallas and experienced the continuing nothingness that is west Texas! I have had several people remark how Texas is a great state - and I agree! But when you are spending the day driving through the northwest part of Texas... Well let’s just say that if you have never experienced this before, I assure you there is noooooothing. Like, the kind of nothing where you need to plan out your restroom breaks and make sure your tank doesn't dip below halfway. Well back to the trip: about nine hours into our drive (and for those wondering - I did drive halfway - it wasn't just Daniel driving all day) we stopped in Amarillo. We had several friends tell us about Cadillac Ranch and we figured we had nothing else exciting on our drive today, so we might as well stop by - and I am so glad that we did! Before we found Cadillac Ranch we filled up our tank, and God already revealed how he has ordained this trip. While filling up, we talked to two separate strangers – and even though we didn’t talk about Christ, the conversation and kindness was remarkable! They asked us about our trip and the routes we were talking, and gave us advice and suggestions of good stops and alternate routes to take for better scenery! It’s just cool to see how God can work, even in the small things.

Pink Cadillac (my dream car since I was a child). 
He is so groovy. 
Cadillac Ranch was pretty sweeeet, if you ask me. It took us awhile to find it because the GPS kept taking us to random sketchy places, but once we started seeing Cadillac signs and the Cadillac RV park we figured we were on the right track! It was quite the sight to see ten or so Cadillac’s (poor cars!) COVERED in spray paint! I think it was almost more shocking to see the hundreds of spray cans everywhere! Daniel did pick up one and found that it was still full! So he added a little design to a car himself! I didn’t capture it, but there was a sign on the other side of Cadillac ranch that said it was illegal to graffiti past the fence – but totally legal to vandalize a previously beautiful car! Haha. So that was a fun, legal rebellious move. If you’re ever driving through, it is definitely a fun and worthwhile stop.




We finally arrived in Albuquerque around dinnertime. Both Daniel and I had wondering eyes as we were freaking out with the sight of MOUNTAINS! I am sorry Louisiana, but your little hills pair in comparison to the fail end of the Rockies that we saw. I mostly loved watching Daniel’s face as he was observing literally everything around him – he has never been west of Texas so the desert and Mexican-style housing was all new sights to him! He was a little flabbergasted, I think, but it was the cutest thing. It’s been a long time since I was here last, so it was cool to see new sights! I didn’t realize how much I’ve become accustomed to Louisiana and the sights there, so it was super refreshing to see new things! We arrived at my cousin’s house! It was so heart-happy to see them! We saw my cousin Nathan and his wife Jessica, and their adorable boy Maxwell. After bringing in our things, they treated us to a delicious new Mexican meal at Sadie’s. Below are pictures of our food, because quite simply it was too delicious looking (and tasting!) to not take a picture of! Also: I’m not sure if it’s just an Albuquerque thing, or all of New Mexico, but they are known for their chili (sauce). It’s a spicy deliciousness that goes on everything! Basically the equivalent to Tony’s in Louisiana, or corn in Illinois. Both Daniel and I loved it! We will probably leave and start craving it randomly later on. My cousin did warn us that it has that effect! Hehe.



Oh, and before dinner, Max smoked Daniel in air hockey. It was precious.



After dinner, they delighted us with taking us down to the old route 66 route (now called Central, pictured below).




We walked up and down the strip, drove through downtown and an old school downtown. It was really cool to see unique shops, old heritage peaking through modern times, and even visit a little section of town that felt like the old west. I am definitely thankful for my sweet cousins driving us all around to show us all the sights! It was a lovely way to end a charming evening with them.